Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MHSRP configuration doubt

i am thorough with the HSRP & implemented in my organization 3 yearz b4, i juz happen to see link(below), in that i could see MHSRP & load balancing with the config, that thing is really making me confuse. can u juz explain me that. bcoz in that link, Router-A also got the standby 1 ip & standby 2 ip & same thing for Router-B, but my question is, what IP address will the client hav as a gateway? bcoz this configuration sayz it does load balancing that is why i am confussed.

"figure 38-2" & "configuring MHSRP" which i was referring to in this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00807741e1.html

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: MHSRP configuration doubt

Hi Anand

Since i missed the other post i couldn't reply to ur query.

AFAIK sometime back you need to segment the local lan and assign the default gateway to clients but i feel you can assign one of the ip's configured as standby ip to a part of the lan and the other standby ip to the other part of the lan.

By doing so you will have traffic being forwarded by both the routers and also being backed by one another..

regds

Cisco Employee

Hi Anand,

Using MHSRP you can have load balancing for same subnet also. If you check the configuration you will see that there are 2 different groups configured standby group 1 and standby group 2.

Now check for priority for group 1 which is high on router A 110 and for same group priority is low on router B. Now the virtual ip address for group 1 is 10.0.0.3 so which means all the machines on which you will have gateway defined as 10.0.0.3 for them the active router will be router A.

Now check the priority for group 2 which is high on router B 110 and for same group priority is low on router A. Now the virtual ip address for group 2 is 10.0.0.4 so which means all the machines on which gateway is defined as 10.0.0.4 for them active router will be router B.

Now lets say you have 100 machines in your lan on 10.0.0.x/24 network. You can define 50 machines with gateway as 10.0.0.3 and for rest of the 50 machines gateway can be defined as 10.0.0.4. Now for those 50 machines on which gateway is 10.0.0.3 for them active router will be router A and for those 50 machines on which gateway is 10.0.0.4 active router will be router B. Using this cofniguration you can achieve load balancing on same subnet also.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

4 REPLIES

Hi Anand

Since i missed the other post i couldn't reply to ur query.

AFAIK sometime back you need to segment the local lan and assign the default gateway to clients but i feel you can assign one of the ip's configured as standby ip to a part of the lan and the other standby ip to the other part of the lan.

By doing so you will have traffic being forwarded by both the routers and also being backed by one another..

regds

Thanks prem,

so the only way is half of the clients should have 1 standby IP address as a gateway & rest half should hav the other standby IP address as gateway. now i clearly understood. correct me if u would have understood wrong.

Cisco Employee

Hi Anand,

Using MHSRP you can have load balancing for same subnet also. If you check the configuration you will see that there are 2 different groups configured standby group 1 and standby group 2.

Now check for priority for group 1 which is high on router A 110 and for same group priority is low on router B. Now the virtual ip address for group 1 is 10.0.0.3 so which means all the machines on which you will have gateway defined as 10.0.0.3 for them the active router will be router A.

Now check the priority for group 2 which is high on router B 110 and for same group priority is low on router A. Now the virtual ip address for group 2 is 10.0.0.4 so which means all the machines on which gateway is defined as 10.0.0.4 for them active router will be router B.

Now lets say you have 100 machines in your lan on 10.0.0.x/24 network. You can define 50 machines with gateway as 10.0.0.3 and for rest of the 50 machines gateway can be defined as 10.0.0.4. Now for those 50 machines on which gateway is 10.0.0.3 for them active router will be router A and for those 50 machines on which gateway is 10.0.0.4 active router will be router B. Using this cofniguration you can achieve load balancing on same subnet also.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Oh Thankz Ankur,

i really didn't see the Priority, i was looking only the IP & thatz the reason i had confussion thankz Prem & Ankur.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content