Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Might be a dumb question....but

I am second quessing myself on this one. Can I etherchannel a GB fiber connection with a GB copper connection?

Mike

6 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Might be a dumb question....but

my suggestion would be to show port capabilities and verify they are the same and if so you should be able to do that.

I don't have show port capabilities command on the switch. It is a 4506 running cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.EWA10.bin

One port is a fiber port (GBIC) on the 4013+ supervisor and the other port is a GB port on a WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V module..

Mike

Community Member

The reason I said that was that I have seen ports that have different QOS capabilities not be able to sync up on a channel before so I would have to put that in the lab to check it out...maybe there is someone else who has done this on a 4500 We have most of ours on 6500 sorry.

Purple

Usually as long as they are the same speed and duplex you can channel them together. Use show interfaces capabilities to check.

The only differance, other than fiber and copper, is the Maximum MTU, the firber max is 9198 bytes and the gigabit copper is 1552. So based on that I could do it....correct?

I should have thought show int cap when show port cap did not work...sorry.

Mike

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Hello Mike,

for a working bundle make the mtu the same on both links

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content