Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate servers from one vlan to another

frtechops
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

my company use vlan1 for lots servers and I would like to "migrate" them to another VLAN.

but how can I do that without cuting down the whole production. these servers need to always communicate each others and to others servers on other VLAN..(trough the our ISL router -an msfc on our 6509- which has VLANs interface configured for routing) ?

In fact I would like that VLAN 1 be "bridged" to vlan10 in order to let me move port in VLAN1 to VLAN10 progessively.

hope it's enough clear:-)

thanks for any help/answers.

Best Regards,

Brice

4 Replies 4

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You can do Inter-VLAN routing between VLAN1 and 10 using your MSFC, and move your servers progressively.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks Mohammed for your answers.

Doing inter-vlan routing means having different IP subnet for each vlan.

In my case I need one IP subnet spread over 2 VLAN ( vlan 1 and 10) temporary because I can't change servers IP.

Regards,

Brice

Hi Brice,

Ok i got you now, you can do Inter-VLAN bridging by defining bridge-group under the interface VLAN, but please check this out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a7af6.shtml

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

justed tried on test vlans.

I put a bridge-group for vlan6 and 10, enabled bridge irb, activated bridging and routing for this bridge-group. boxes in vlan6 and 10 can communicate together (same ip subnet) but communication with the gateway is impossible..

it's impossible for boxes in vlan 10 to get mac adress of their default gateway which is interface vlan6. for other boxes in vlan 6, no problem to reach the gateway and traffic being routed.

thanks for your help

Brice

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card