Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate to new ASN (AS renumbering)

Jacob Zartmann
Level 1
Level 1

UPDATE:

I did it - uploaded the modified configuration files to startup-config and scheduled a reload. Everything came up and is working correctly.

I only have one thing that didn't go as planned: One of the N7Ks that ran two VDCs lost config to VDC id 2, but this didn't matter as I had planned to merge the VDCs (no license) anyways. This is done and it all good!

/JZ

! --------------------------- --------------------------- --------------------------- --------------------------- ---------------------------

Hi,

I'm doing a move from a private ASN to a public ASN in a network with mixed platforms (7604/RSP720 IOS15.2S, N7K 6.2.2a). My approach for this is to copy out running-config do a search and replace of the ASN and upload the modified file to startup-config and schedule a reload of all nodes at the same time.

I've heard however that especially on 6500 platforms, uploading a new startup-config, can make interfaces shutdown on the following reload even though they are not listed in the startup-config as shutdown.

I'm looking for "what can go wrong" using this approach and to draw from anyone who has experience with this.

Thanks.

/JZ

4 Replies 4

Tagir Temirgaliyev
Spotlight
Spotlight

I dont now about 6500

but if you are talking about  changing BGP AS you also need to change AS on all BGP neigbors connected to your AS

and dont forget to rate post

Hi ttemirgaliyev,

I'm aware of that which is why I've been using local-as so far...

I "just" need the last part - to have clean peerings with my new ASN.

Thanks,

/JZ

Hello

please review this url

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2s/feature/guide/fsbgpdas.html

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link. I've been using local-as so far to use my new ASN, but want to reconfigure my IBGP peerings with the new ASN.

/JZ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card