cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from a 6500 to a 7000

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

What are the challenges one may face when migrating from a 6500 to a Nexus 7000? I guess part of the answer is that it depends on where the 6500 is positioned in the enterprise. For example, if it is being used at the WAN edge with the Flex Wan module, the Nexus poses a problem because it does not support any legacy serial/OC WAN linecards. All it supports is ethernet.

On the other hand, if the 6500 is being used at the aggregartion layer of a data center and has switched modules deployed (FWSM, CSM, etc), the challenge when migrating to the 7000 will be that the 7000 does not support such modules and separate appliances must be used instead.

Concur?

Is there a comprehensive overview document that anyone may know of that elaborates on such a migration in terms of a stargtegy, challenges, considerations, etc?

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Victor

You've kind of covered it to be honest. The Nexus 7000 gives greater port density in terms of 10Gbps etc. but it is not equivalent to a 6500 with either FlexWAN modules or service modules. Really the Nexus is used as an aggregation/core switch where your main requirement is for 10Gbps connectivity.

The 6500 as you know is a far more flexible device and while it can't support the 10Gbps density of the 7000 it can support intergrated service modules etc. Obviously you can look to deploy standalone modules eg. the ASA 5580 has comparable throughput to the FWSM if you do not want to use 6500 switches.

Have a look at this doc if you haven't already seen it - first link from this search page -

6500/Nexus search results

Jon

Hi, Jon....

Thanks for the sanity check and that document...I have seen parts of it as part of another document..

By the way, I left my previous position and now I work for a company that is in competition with Cisco in the Data center, espeically...

Boy, you could cut the hate in the air with a knife... lol I love hearing these anti-Cisco bigots rant and rave about how "bad" Cisco products are...yeah, right!...lol...

VL

lamav wrote:

Hi, Jon....

Thanks for the sanity check and that document...I have seen parts of it as part of another document..

By the way, I left my previous position and now I work for a company that is in competition with Cisco in the Data center, espeically...

Boy, you could cut the hate in the air with a knife... lol I love hearing these anti-Cisco bigots rant and rave about how "bad" Cisco products are...yeah, right!...lol...

VL

Victor

So who's the company then ?? Wouldn't be Juniper would it, those guys really hate Cisco

Jon

Deleted

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Does anyone think that Cisco will EOL the 6500 anytime soon?

Thanks

It's not going to happen any time soon.

Thanks, Edison....Do you have anything to add to that thought..?

Nexus and 6500 are not competing products. Same as the 4500 and 6500 aren't either.

All platforms have their purposes. You see many customers replacing their 6500 with Nexus because of competitive pricing.

Same rumors circulated with the 7600 line competing with 6500 line.

There are new technologies coming down the pipe on the 6500 line, it's not going away anytime soon. That's all I can comment at this moment.

Regards,

Edison

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco