cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixing RPVST and PVST

johnnylingo
Level 5
Level 5

We have Catalyst 6500s at our core / distribution layer, and I would like to convert them from PVST to RPVST. However, we still have some 3500XLs at the access layer which will not be retired until next year. I see from the document that RSTP (802.1W) and RPVST are not supported on the 2900XL and 3500XL.

Is it possible to have a network with RPVST at the core layer and still run regular PVST at the access layer?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

yes you can run both within the same network but be aware that if you have a vlan that spans across both the core and access-layer switches then you will not see the full benefits of RPVST because it will default back to normal STP for that vlan.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

yes you can run both within the same network but be aware that if you have a vlan that spans across both the core and access-layer switches then you will not see the full benefits of RPVST because it will default back to normal STP for that vlan.

HTH

Jon

Thanks, that makes sense. I found out the previous admin had turned on RPVST on one of our 6500s, and it didn't seem to cause any problems so my plan is to enable it for the 6500, 4500s, 3550, 3650, and 3750s while keeping the 3500XLs at regular PVST.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card