Views
Helpful
Replies

MLS configuration for routing

johnstone_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'll set the scene...we are getting a Layer 2 ethernet presented LAN extension, that we wish to route to our firewall via a C3560G switch, using a routed port (See attachment for diagram).

Can you confirm this is possible and also how this would be configured?

Thanks

Brian

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brian

Yes it's possible. You need to configure the port on the 3560 that the LAN extension connects to as -

int gi0/1

no switchport

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.252

obviously the other end of the LAN extension wherever that is would be configured with the ip address 192.168.5.2/30.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Would I need to put routing on the switch also?

Thanks

brian

Brian

Yes you would need to enable "ip routing" on the switch.

Your other option is simply to have the 3560 as a L2 switch only and run it to the firewall.

Jon

Yes routing would be turned on .

Hi

I plan to put static routes on the switch

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 'my Firewall int address'

ip route '3rd Party lan' 255.255.255.0 'routed switch port'

I assume these entries will only effect the traffic via the routed port, the remaining layer 2 ports on the switch will continue to act as normal?

Thanks

Brian

Brian

ip route '3rd Party lan' 255.255.255.0 'routed switch port'

would be better to use

ip route '3rd Party lan' 255.255.255.0 ie. 192.168.5.2 in the example i gave.

"I assume these entries will only effect the traffic via the routed port, the remaining layer 2 ports on the switch will continue to act as normal?"

the routes will affect any traffic that is routed on your 3560 especially the default route. Looking at your setup this should be fine.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card