Views
Helpful
Replies

MLSM-7-SC_TCAM_FULL_ERROR:

VictorAKur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have been getting this error on a cat6506 with sup2 and IOS version c6sup22-psv-mz.121-20.E3.bin

MLSM-7-SC_TCAM_FULL_ERROR: TCAM space not available to install the (x.x.x.x,x.x.x.x) entry in the Hardware

I have been having real trouble with resolving it. Output interpriter suggests reconfiguring the box to avoid this problem, but I don't know what configuration is actually required for it.

Any ideas anyone?

10 Replies 10

nambi_gct
Level 1
Level 1

This means that your TCAM reached its maximum capacity.It is not an issue.It is a notification that you have exceeded the maximum number of multicast entries that can be hardware forwarded.Any further entry will be software forwaded.But please note that software forwarding is cpu intensive and relatively slow.

Please also check this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_system_message_guide_chapter09186a008007d2a2.html#wp1043631

Error Message MLSM-7-SC_TCAM_FULL_ERROR: TCAM space not available to install the

([IP_address],[IP_address]) entry in the Hardware

Explanation This message indicates that a (s,g) or (*,g) entry could not be installed in the hardware-CEF table. The system is running out of available CEF entries.

Recommended Action Modify the network config so that the hardware resource limitation is not reached, and ensure that the (s,g) or (*,g) entry is installed.

Thank you for the reply. In fact I have seen the output interpriter suggestion (I mentioned it in my first post) but I don't know how to modify the network config so that the hardware resource limitation is not reached.

Also the ip address in the error has a mask of 239.x.x.x which is a limited-scope address. This is the only entry we have been getting the alert for. I am not sure how relevant the address scope is to this issue.

If however this is only a cosmetic issue as you suggested, I will be more then happy to leave it at that.

Victor, it is NOT a cosmetic issue.every additional entry that is software swicthed increases the cpu load.

please check if you can reduce the number of multicast groups/entries used so that it can fit into the max limit.

Aha! Thank you for that one - will try and see if it helps. If it does - I will let you know.

I am not quite sure how to reduce the number of multicast groups on this box. In fact I have had a good look and there is not much multicast configuration on it at all. And only one entry in mrout table.

So I am really confused now.

Hi victor,if you see the messages popping up even if you have just one mroute entry, that is abnormal.But if you see one or two messages in the logging, and you do not see any messages at that point of time, it implies that tcam capacity exceeded in the recent past.It means your network load is more than what this particular box can handle and upgrading your sup to sup720 will be the best solution.

Hi

I get this error on average once a day. Always for the same S,G entry.

I do agree that upgrading the sup would be the best solution.

Thank you.

avmabe
Level 3
Level 3

You could use this error to start the justification of getting a SUP720 ;)

And a new IOS too :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card