Views
Helpful
Replies

Modifying and Transfering Configuration Files

Peace723
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to modify the startup-config file from a 6500 switch and then transfer it via ftp to another 6500 switch. I'm not sure what format I should use to save the file.I'm using notepad to edit the file. If I save the file with ANSI encoding, will the switch be able to read the file? If not,what is the best way to do this?

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you copy the config file via FTP to your workstation and edit the file in notepad, you can copy it to the new switch (via FTP) and the new switch should read it just fine. You could always copy-n-paste too, but that's a little slow.

HTH and please rate.

thanks for the response. but what format should i save the file in after editing in notepad?

It looks to me like ANSI would be the format to use. When I edit a config retreived by TFTP it appears to be using ANSI formatting.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I work/save in ANSI.

When u download the startup file it will save in .cfg extention then modify it and then resave with .cfg extention and upload it your problem will solve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card