Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Module to add gig interfaces to 2800 series router

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to add WCCP to be configured for websense. My first option seems to be either purchase an IPServices license for the stack of 3750E switches, but i am thinking this will require us to license all three switches in the stack.

The second option i am looking at is to do the WCCP configuration on the 2800 router we have on the edge. The problem is both Gig ports are in use, one going to the firewall and the second going to the ISP.

My first question would be, which option is better in terms of manging as well as cost of implementing it.

The second question is, if WCCP on the router is a better option, what is the add on module i should be looking to get to add the additional ports to hook up the Websense cache.

Thanks guys!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We are trying to not introduce any cost to the network at this point.

Sorry, but I don't want to sound arrogant but if the finances are not yet available, then purchasing a HWIC Gig interface is a waste of money because your router won't be able to push between 46 to 113 Mbps.  The value I've just stated is expressed in half duplex and without encryption.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

A 3750-stack can be operated with different licenses. But that makes the design a little bit more complicated.

What about using subinterfaces on the router and a trunk to your switch? There you can build a new network for the Server.

And if you want an additinal physical NIC in your router, here are the choices:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

You can use Ethernet-routed modules or Ethernet-Switch-modules. I usually have 4-port-switch-modules in my 2800-routers for flexibility.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Thank you, these are the options i am looking for. We will brainstorm on these options and i will definitely post back.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage

Posting

No 2800 is really capable of supporting sustained gig transmission rates, so if you're looking to add a single port, you might look at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6.html

Thanks for pointing this out. Our link is at 100mbps right now. So, this may be less of a cocern at the present time. But, will definitely be a limiting factor in the future

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Joseph.

The 2800 will not be able to push more than 100 Mbps per interface.

You want to push 1 Gbps per interface?  You need to look at something with more beef.  And this is the exclusive domain of the ASR 1K with RP2. 

Thanks Leo. We are trying to not introduce any cost to the network at this point. But, definitely worth looking into.

We are trying to not introduce any cost to the network at this point.

Sorry, but I don't want to sound arrogant but if the finances are not yet available, then purchasing a HWIC Gig interface is a waste of money because your router won't be able to push between 46 to 113 Mbps.  The value I've just stated is expressed in half duplex and without encryption.

Thanks again for the warning and your inputs. We decided to go with getting the IP Services license for the switches.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card