cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Module to connect Cat6 10gbe to Nexus or 4500x sfp+

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

I'm looking for the part number for the SFP+ module that can accept an RJ-45 connector with Cat 6 or Cat 6a cabling that would go from an Intel X540-T1 or T2 Ethernet converged network adapter.  These 10gbe nics would be in servers running VMWare and the whole storage network.  The SAN I already found the active twinax sfp+.

This is my first entrance into 10gbe.

5 Replies 5

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

I'm guessing that I would have to get Intel X520 10gbe cards with the SFP+ ports and just use SFP+ twinax cabling to the nexus.

I don't see any 10gig RJ-45 SFP+ for Nexus.  Oh well, so much for cheap cabling.

For Nexus, there is 12 port copper (10Gig) expansion card you can buy.

see figure-6 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/data_sheet_c78-618603.html

HTH

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco doesn't support any 10 Gbps Cat 6 SFPs. Unless you have the module Reza noted above, you need to use either one of the fiber SFP+ transceivers or one of the supported twinax cables with built-in SFP.

There is a compatibility matrix here that lists all of the options.

All the nexus 5k fully support 10 gig on all its ports though correct?  Any artificial limitations, like only x number of ports can be 10gig while others must fall back to 1 gig?

All ports can run 10 Gbps simultaneously. The only exception that come to mind is when you setup a 5k (UP type) with Fibre Channel ports you designate and reserve certain ports for FC only.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card