cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitor port on 1 switch to dest port on another switch

paulc
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to monitor a port on one switch (2960) and have the destination port on another (4510)? I know the commands for monitoring one port to another but haven't found anything on sending monitored packs to a different switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

paulc@mmcwm.com

Is it possible to monitor a port on one switch (2960) and have the destination port on another (4510)? I know the commands for monitoring one port to another but haven't found anything on sending monitored packs to a different switch.

Paul

Assuming that the 2960 has a L2 path to the 4510 then you can use RSPAN (Remote SPAN) to achieve what you want. Have a look at this 2960 config doc which explains how to set it up. Note that you need to be running the LAN Base image on the 2960 to run RSPAN -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1210541

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

paulc@mmcwm.com

Paul

Assuming that the 2960 has a L2 path to the 4510 then you can use RSPAN (Remote SPAN) to achieve what you want. Have a look at this 2960 config doc which explains how to set it up. Note that you need to be running the LAN Base image on the 2960 to run RSPAN -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1210541

Jon

Super. Thanks, Jon.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card