Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Monitoring of etherchannel

I would like to set up a montoring for etherchannel so that we have alerts which are generated when we have ports leaving the etherchannel. We have monitoring setup which scans the syslog messages before generating an alert.

Ideally it would work if i put in a monitoring for "%LINK-3-UPDOWN" but this would inturn generate a lot of alerts for me. I would like to narrow this down to have monitoring set only for the error messages related to Etherchannel and ports involved. ie. errors which are generated when ports leave the etherchannel.

What should be the message we should be monitoring inorder to do filter this down ?

I was not able to find any link which gave me the error messages for etherchannel related issues.

Thanks

Joseph

1 REPLY

Re: Monitoring of etherchannel

Hey Joe,

There is no specific syslog message that you can use in this case that would look specifically at the ports in an etherchannel.  However you should be able to accomplish what you are looking to accomplish with EEM (embedded evebt manager), depending on the platform and wether EEM is supported or not.

You can match on a specific message within your syslog and then act upon the message.

The following script would monitor for link flap from an ethernet interface 0/1 and then send an email:

The EEM applet could look like something of the following if you were monitoring link up/down on those specific interfaces in the etherchannel:

event manager applet etherchannelup/down 
event syslog occurs 1 pattern "net0/1, changed state to down"
action 1.0 cli command "show etherchannel summary"
action 1.0 mail server "192.168.1.1" to "user-to@domain.com" from "user-from@domain.com" subject "Etherchannel Issue" body "$_cli_result"

The above will mail you the output from "show etherchannel sum" when the pattern "net0/1, changed state to down" is matched.

You can adjust this as needed, but this is just a simply example of how you generate your own rules with EEM and monitoring.  This would be the best bet to perform what you are looking for.  Keep in mind this is monitoring if the link goes down only, but you can adjust it as you please.

Also keep in mind that it will depend on weither your platform/code supports EEM and which version of EEM.

You can read more about EEM  via the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t2/ht_eem.html

Thanks,

Adam

Views
Helpful
Replies