cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving LACP ports to another module

abbas.ali
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 6513 switches connected to HP VC Flex 10 Module.  The (2) 10Gb ports on a Cisco Switch connected to VC Flex-10 in LACP mode.

I need to move those (2) 10Gb ports on Cisco Switch 10Gb Module to a different 10Gb module on a same Switch without bringing the ports down since it is a live enviroment.

What I would do is to configure a same port channel ID on a new 10Gb module and then move port one by one. unplug one port and connect to the new port on a module. While I will be unplugging the first port the other active port will keep sending traffic and as soon as I plug in on another port, both ports will be active.

I just want to confirm.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Abbas Ali wrote:

I have a Cisco 6513 switches connected to HP VC Flex 10 Module.  The (2) 10Gb ports on a Cisco Switch connected to VC Flex-10 in LACP mode.

I need to move those (2) 10Gb ports on Cisco Switch 10Gb Module to a different 10Gb module on a same Switch without bringing the ports down since it is a live enviroment.

What I would do is to configure a same port channel ID on a new 10Gb module and then move port one by one. unplug one port and connect to the new port on a module. While I will be unplugging the first port the other active port will keep sending traffic and as soon as I plug in on another port, both ports will be active.

I just want to confirm.

Thanks

Should work, provided your new ports are int he same switching fabric.

Configure your two new ports into the same port-channel group (remember to match *all* the settings with respect to port type, VLAN's etc etc), then swap your first link across to the new ports, confirm that it's come up and is in the channel group, then swap your second across.

You shouldn't experience any loss, as the channel group will just work around the "failure" caused by unplugging and re-connecting the ports.

Cheers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card