Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving the management vlan 1 IP address to another vlan

Jeff Harned
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have read that vlan 1 should now not be used as the management vlan.  So on a 3560x switch I have made an attempt to move it to another vlan.
I want to keep the same IP address, just move it.

From the switch to a Linux terminal I edited a configuration file by adding another vlan with the same IP address as was for vlan 1.  Under a section of the file I entered interface vlan 1 followed by no IP address.  I copied this file back into the flash and executed the "configure replace flash" command from the switch.

As the file was attempting to load a message stated something like vlan 1 could not be deleted.  I know that it cannot be deleted and therefore the configuration file was not loaded correctly.

What is the procedure for moving the IP address?

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

3 Replies 3

Jeff,

what you can configure on the switch depends on the feature set. Can you post the output of 'show version' ?

If you want to move the IP address of Vlan 1 to a new Vlan, you have to delete it first from Vlan 1, then create a new Vlan, and then assign the IP address.

It might be easier if you post the current configuration of your switch as well, that way, we can add what you need.

Hi gpauwen,

It is rather simple but it took some time to get here:

copy flash:/<config file> startup-config
reload

What this did is it took a configuration file that I edited under Slackware that changed the management vlan to 100 but kept the original IP address that was assigned to vlan 1.  Vlan 1 was edited for "no ip address".

I then loaded this configuration file back into the flash, verified that it was there and simply entered the two commands above. 

This worked just fine as the management vlan was changed to vlan 100 using the original IP address.
I verified that I was able to access the switch.  The only drawback with this method is the down time
while the switch was loading.

It's tricky having vlan 1 setup as the management vlan and trying to keep and move the IP address to another vlan. If there is a quicker method I would like to know.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jeff

What about adding another IP address in another vlan so the switch is multi-homed?
So for example your current IP is 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0 in vlan1
1. create an extra vlan or use an existing one that is being routed
2. add an IP address in that routed vlan for the switch as an extra address:
Telnet or SSH to original address (192.168.1.100 in example)
> conf t
> int vlan 998
> ip address 192.168.2.100 255.255.255.0
> no shut
3. Remove original IP address from vlan 1 and add it to your desired vlan (100 in your case)
Telnet or SSH to extra address (192.168.2.100 in this example)
> conf t
> int vlan 1
> no ip address
> int vlan 100
> ip address 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0
> exit
4. Remove temp extra IP address
> conf t
> int vlan 998
> no ip address
> shut
or: