Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Mr. Anthony

I have two switches(Catalyst 2960). My network is flat. Do i have to configure native vlan on my trunk?.. if i leave the switches just the way they are, would they be affected the moment i plug them into the network?.....

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

If your network is flat why

If your network is flat why do you need trunks.

Jon

and in addition to what John

and in addition to what John said, "no need for native VLANs, if there is no need for native VLANs"

If you leave all you r access ports in VLAN 1, or statically define your access port in any other VLAN, then everyting is tagged and there is no need for a native VLAN.

cheers

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi

Hi

If you have connected both switches with factory settings you dont need trunk interfaces, because just the vlan 1 is passing through them. 

In a future when you are creating vlans, take in consideration disable the vlan 1, by the default vlan 1 is used as native vlan under the trunk interface. A good security practice is that  the vlan 1  should be shutdown in order to avoid man-in-the-middle attacks or other security problems. So you should create a new native vlan in order be used under the trunks only.

:-)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content