Views
Helpful
Replies

MSDP Question

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Team,

Trying to do MDSP between sites with anycast RP.

Site 1 has 2 ASR1002-Xs

Site 2 has 2 ASR1002-Xs

Requirement is to have an RP per site but be able to send receive multicast between. How can I peer these MSDP mesh together? i.e. mesh site 1 peer with mesh site 2.

I have done the Anycast RP bit and mesh for the sites. Just need to get both sites to talk MSDP. Any config examples would be good to see.

Thank you

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.       

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
9 Replies 9

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bilal,

Are you familiar with this document?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/solutions_docs/ip_multicast/White_papers/anycast.html

It is a complete example of an MSDP Anycast RP deployment. Adding the MSDP peering between the two of your intended RPs is a matter of two ip msdp global level configuration commands shown in the Figure 2 of the referenced document - check it out!

Best regards,

Peter

Peter thanks for the reply. I have already done the anycast RP. It works fine and the msdp peer is up and in a mesh. However, that is for site 1 and 2. But how to peer site 1 and 2 together?

Bilal,

I am not sure I understand you here. If you are saying that the MSDP peers are up then that is in my understanding the peering you are looking for. Are you asking about how to enable the actual multicast delivery between these two sites?

Best regards,

Peter

Sorry for being unclear.. So here goes:

Site ET:

ET-ASR-WAN01#show run int l0

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 138 bytes

!

interface Loopback0

description ET-PIM-RP-ADDRESS

ip address 192.168.255.1 255.255.255.255

ip pim sparse-mode

ip ospf 1 area 0

end

ET-ASR-WAN01#show run int l1

Current configuration : 136 bytes

!

interface Loopback1

description ET-PIM-ANYCAST

ip address 192.168.255.11 255.255.255.255

ip pim sparse-mode

ip ospf 1 area 0

end

ET-ASR-WAN01#show run | inc msdp

ip msdp peer 192.168.255.12 connect-source Loopback1 - RP Peer [UP]

ip msdp peer 192.168.255.2 connect-source Loopback0 - Anycast RP NON EXISTANT

ip msdp peer 192.168.101.5 connect-source Loopback0 - Anycast RP N7K WAN VDC

ip msdp peer 192.168.201.5 connect-source Loopback0 - Anycast RP N7K WAN VDC

ip msdp peer 192.168.255.3 connect-source Loopback0 - Anycast RP SITE SQP [UP]

ip msdp cache-sa-state

ip msdp originator-id Loopback1

ip msdp mesh-group ET-MSDP 192.168.255.12

ET-ASR-WAN01#show ip msdp summ

MSDP Peer Status Summary

Peer Address     AS    State    Uptime/  Reset SA    Peer Name

Downtime Count Count

192.168.255.12   ?     Up       03:42:21 0     1     ?

192.168.255.2    ?     Down     00:42:49 0     0     ?

192.168.101.5    ?     Listen   00:42:37 0     0     ?

192.168.201.5    ?     Listen   00:39:47 0     0     ?

192.168.255.3    ?     Up       00:39:35 0     0     ? - TO SITE SQP is UP HERE

=========================================

ET-ASR-WAN02#show run int l0

Current configuration : 138 bytes

!

interface Loopback0

description ET-PIM-RP-ADDRESS

ip address 192.168.255.1 255.255.255.255

ip pim sparse-mode

ip ospf 1 area 0

end

ET-ASR-WAN02#show run int l1

Current configuration : 136 bytes

!

interface Loopback1

description ET-PIM-ANYCAST

ip address 192.168.255.12 255.255.255.255

ip pim sparse-mode

ip ospf 1 area 0

end

ET-ASR-WAN02#show run | inc msdp

ip msdp peer 192.168.255.11 connect-source Loopback1 - RP Peer [UP]

ip msdp peer 192.168.255.2 connect-source Loopback0 - Anycast RP NON EXISTANT

ip msdp peer 192.168.101.5 connect-source Loopback0 - Anycast RP N7K WAN VDC

ip msdp peer 192.168.201.5 connect-source Loopback0 - Anycast RP N7K WAN VDC

ip msdp peer 192.168.255.3 connect-source Loopback0 - Anycast RP SITE SQP [DOWN]

ip msdp cache-sa-state

ip msdp originator-id Loopback1

ip msdp mesh-group ET-MSDP 192.168.255.11

ET-ASR-WAN02#

ET-ASR-WAN02#show ip msdp summ

MSDP Peer Status Summary

Peer Address     AS    State    Uptime/  Reset SA    Peer Name

Downtime Count Count

192.168.255.11   ?     Up       03:45:17 2     1     ?

192.168.101.5    ?     Listen   00:41:30 0     0     ?

192.168.201.5    ?     Listen   00:41:22 0     0     ?

192.168.255.3    ?     Down     00:41:12 0     0     ? [ DOWN HERE]

192.168.255.2    ?     Down     00:41:05 0     0     ?

Same is on the other side as well. I know there might be something fundamentally wrong here like loopback source not being the unique, but just trying it out. I want it to look like the RP of one site is msdp peering with the other, rather than individually which will be long and tedious. Cant we do this with mesh?

Hope that makes it a little more clear?

What im trying to say is, configuring each and every device to peer MSDP is tedious. Are we not able to mesh sites together and get sites to peer with sites, if that makes sense?

Hello Bilal,

Do you have 4 RP address on each AS? ,I hope you know that MSDP is confiugre on RP and source which is near to respective RP in each AS register with them.MSDP is only use to send Multicast sorce registration information from register RP  to another RP in different AS.One more thing that i didnt get your question about mesh.did you also configure MSDP on non RP devices?

Regards,

Ashish

Hello Ashish,

In total I have 5 RP addresses (all anycast RP). What should be done in terms of MSDP, I need to get multicast traffic between all the sites, will I have to create MSDP peer to each and every device or can I peer with the "site only". I will not be configuring MSDP on non RP devices, it doesn't make sense to do that.

Perhaps this diagram will help understand my situation:

Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 17.20.11.png

Thanks for the input

Hi bilal ,

In PIM SP domain if you have multiple RPs that are connected to each other you can use MSDP mesh group. If you are using mesh group, the RPs have to be fully meshed; that is, each RP must be connected to all peer RPs

basically mesh group use to reduces the forwarding of SA messages within a domain.

if you dont use mesh group, every RP in a domain forward SA messages to all the RPs within that domain but in mesh group only one RP forwards the SA message

Since an MSDP mesh group is fully meshed, peers do not forward SA messages received in a domain from one member to any member of the group. The RP that originated the SA or the first RP in a domain that receives the SA message is the only one that forwards the message to the members of a mesh group. An RP can forward an SA message to any MSDP router as long as that peer is farther away from the originating RP than the current MSDP router.

here is doc link i found on community

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14494

let us know how is goes in your deployment

Regards,

Ashish

Hi Ashish,

I read this DOC before, but wasn't sure if all the devices had to be in one big mesh group. In the document they are all the same RP, In my case it is different.

So if the above rule also applies to me, this means the mesh group will contain every single device participating in RP functionality? and that on all the routers I will create exactly the same mesh group with all the entries of the RP's (not the RP address itself as it is anycast, but a loopback which is unique)?

Does this mean I need to create my MSDP peer locally but have other connected sites in a mesh group but not as a peer.?

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card