cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSE Password Recovery

dhopper82
Level 1
Level 1

I recently got an MSE for evaluation.  When running through the script I got to a point where I was asked to change the root password.  For some unknown reason I felt inclined to do so.  I typed in a password and then confirmed it.  The only problem is when the MSE rebooted I couldn't log back into it with the password I had just typed in nor the default password.  Are there any procedures for password recovery on this piece of equipment?  I've looked but so far been unable to find anything.

5 Replies 5

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Check out the below link hope this helps out your query!!

Do the following steps as mentioned in the link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/mse/3350/quick/guide/mse_qsgmain.html#wp1053115

If helpful do rate the valuable post.

Regards

Ganesh.H

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

MSE is running linux. To change the root password it's like on any other linux os computer, it goes via the GRUB.

The easiest would have been to use the pwd command when logged with the previous root user / pwd.

The grub method could be used again even if you cant login anymore to it. Console onto the MSE and go in the GRUB.

dhopper82
Level 1
Level 1

I tried that and after putting a 1 at the end of the line the device boots back to a login prompt.  I will attempt the console.  Are the con settings the same as a router?

this is a linux machine. No the passwords are not alike the router.

You have to go to GRUB to change the root password, you can do that from the console too.

Francis Nyagah
Level 1
Level 1

If you forgot the Grub password as well, you will have to contact Cisco TAC Team

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card