Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

MST and Nexus vPCs

Hi

Say, for example, I am deploying a large amount of VLANs with a Nexus  vPC toology.  So I would have no spanning tree loops.  Logically my topology looks like a single Core switch to Access switch link.  However, ideally I would like to only allow specific VLANs on each vPC.

I understand the MST recommendation that for an MST region I should allow all VLANs in that region over all trunk links involved in the region to avoid accidental traffic black holes.

However I don't really want to allow VLANs on a link to an edge switch when there are no ports in that VLAN on the edge switch.  So since I have no STP loops could I safely allow VLANs 1 to 100 on vPC 100, VLANs 101 to 200 on vPC 200 and so on but still have all VLANs in one MST instance ?  MST would still calculate vPC 100 and 200 as forwarding so my traffic still gets to where it needs to.  Only if I introduce a loop is there a potential problem.

I don't want to rely on VTP pruning and I can't create many MST instances and easily allocate vlans to each one because any VLAN could be required on any vPC.

So can I create 1 MST instance, map all VLANs to it and still safely remove specific VLANs from vPC's on a vPC by vPC basis ?

My alternative is to have my 1000 VLANs each running a rapid instance on each port they are active on when I really don't need all that overhead with no loops in the network. 

I suppose in a non-Nexus environment this is exactly the same as a VSS Core type deployment with dual homed Access switches using MEC.  No loops.  Am I able to then ignore the stipulation that any trunks in an MST region should carry all VLANs in that region ?

Thanks, Stuart.

Everyone's tags (5)
Views
Helpful
Replies