cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MST(STP) help needed....weighting links, etc..

jacob600
Level 1
Level 1

I need some help doing some manual tweaking with MST(STP). Here is the scenario.

We have two load balancers with two uplinks (gigabit) going to two 6509s (one link each for a mesh configuration). There is a primary and a secondary load balancer.The second only takes over if the first box dies.

The load balancers can run MST but it has been recommended by the vendor not to run MST/STP so the load balancers are only doing passthru of BPDUs and NOT participating in the MST/STP algorithm. I need to know what the commands are to tweak the weighted values to make the load balancers fail in this particular order:

Primary LB - uplink #1 . then

Primary LB - upnlink #2 which goes to 6509#2, then

Secondary LB - uplink #1 which goes to 6509#1, then

Secondary LB - uplink #2 which goes to 6509#2.

Can someone give some advice please and perhaps the commands to make the Cisco weight out the links correctly so that MST/STP fails from link to link in the above listed order? Any information is highly appreciated.

Thank you,

1 Reply 1

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jake,

I'm not sure yet about the design. Here are some few additional questions:

-Is there a L2 link between the cat6ks, beside the connection through the load balancers?

-Is the secondary load balancer (let's call it LB2) forwarding traffic between its uplinks when it is in standby mode.

-Are you attempting to distribute traffic on several vlans, in order to use several uplinks at the same time, or are you ok with just one uplink being active at a given time for all the L2 traffic.

-Also, something stupid, how do you switch over from LB1 to LB2 if LB1 loses both its uplinks 1 and 2 to the cat6k?

A priori, I would say that making cat6k1 the root should be enough.

Regards,

Francois

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card