cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MST urgent help needed

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

guys i have four swicthes all are connected to each other....MST is running and i have two instances.....swicth A and is root for instance 1 and swicth B is instance for instance 2......now th eport between A and B is 10 and 12......i want that odd vlans shd go on 12 and even vlan shd go on 10....as instance 1 has even vlans and instance two has odd vlans....i went to port 10 of both swicth it is in blocking state....i put the command spanning tree mst 1 port priority 16 on bith end....the prority chages on the swicth i can see that but still its in blocking state why is that........what is bound port.....now the strange thing is when i do shd spanning tree mst it shows me mst 0 has root port the other two instances have same port but its in boundr can someone please help me i tried cost as well but ports are still in blocking state

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Khan,

use the following doc as a reference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/spantree.html

have you configured the same MST region name, revision number, vlans to instances mappings on all routers manually ?

These parameters are not propagated automatically but need to be configured and updated on all devices when needed.

Do all the switches agree on root bridge-id for IST and other instances ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe

its all same same revision no same name in mst config same vtp domain same everything and i have been to this link....didnt help me my question remains still stands.....why its not coming in forwarding state....on switch A i have config instance 1 as root and on D instance 2 as root and after that verified that as well....so there is no point that they are not root for those instances.......can you please help me as i am going nuts

Hello Khan,

in MST the actual BPDUs sent on the wire are those of IST (instance 0) so you need:

to have at least one vlan associated to instance 0

to have one vlan associated to instance 0 permitted and in forwarding state on every trunk port.

the data for additonal MST instances are carried as fields in IST BPDUs

if you like being a lab setup feel free to post your config of the four switches.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

there is a vlan which is default one i mean vlan 1 is in mst0.

all i am saying is switch A is a root for instance 1 and swicth is root for instance 2

now on switch A when i put port priority which is a trunk connecting switch D why the port is still in blocking state??? thanks as usual

Hello Khan,

post the configuration and

sh spanning-tree interface typex/y

sh int type x/y switchport

is Vlan1 permitted on the trunk ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: