cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MTU error message

bevans
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CAT6509 with MPLS.. two redundant MSFC2 blades. Whenever I go in to configure one of the MSFC's I get the message:

%MROUTE-4-MTU_MISMATCH : WARNING: With IP multicast enabled, interfaces which transmit traffic from larger to smaller MTU interfaces may not be hardware switched due to fragmentation. A degradation in performance may occur.

According to Cisco:

Explanation This warning message provides information about transmitting traffic from larger to smaller MTU interfaces.

Recommended Action Set MTU values on all interfaces to be identical to avoid fragmentation.

I am not sure what to do about this because I do not see any specific MTU settings. Can someone help me with this?

- Bill E.

3 Replies 3

nambi_gct
Level 1
Level 1

you need to check the mroute table.

Check the oil list.Foreach oil check the MTU with "shwo ip int " command.That should give a clue to you.

Thank you for your posting. I did as you recommended and all interfaces are set to MTU of 1500 - the default I believe. Any other thoughts?

- Bill

I contacted Cisco directly and it turns out this is a "debug" type message and I do not have to worry about it. Just an FYI for anyone who reads this.

- Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card