Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Multcasting and switch IOS selection

Hello All,

In need of a little advice.  I've not done a lot of mulitcasing config but now a large CCTV solution is being added to my network and need to make adjustements. 

From what info I have 6-7 decoders and a Recording facility are to be installed to receive from 6 encoders each with 8 camera.  All up 6 encoder sources and 6-7 decoder joiners to the multicast. From my reading of feature and understanding of IOS is that a 2960 IP Base switch will do the job, but if I need to access this network from another Vlan I would need to enable PIM sparse dense mode on my Cisco 800 router.  Alternatively I could pull the router out and put in a 3560 but does IP Base on a 3560 handle the multicast requirements?  I've seen references to IP Services required.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Regards

Dave

Everyone's tags (4)
1 REPLY
VIP Super Bronze

Multcasting and switch IOS selection

Hi Dave,

the IP base IOS for the 3560 series supports PIM is stub mode.  But I think, it would be better if you get the IP Service license for the 3560,

Q. What are the different types of feature sets?

A. There are three types of software licenses: LAN Base, IP Base, and IP  Services. LAN Base is only supported on the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X,  3650-X, and Cisco Catalyst 2K switches.

• LAN Base: Enables basic Layer 2 forwarding and IPv4/IPv6 switch management.

•  IP Base: Enables Layer 2 forwarding, IPv6 management, and basic Layer 3  routing, including Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)  stub and Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) stub mode.

•  IP Services: Includes IP Base and enables advanced IPv4/IPv6 Layer 3  routing such as EIGRP, Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), WCCP, VRF-lite,  PBR, and IPv4 multicast routing.

Also, have a look at figure-1 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-579326_ps10745_Products_White_Paper.html

HTH

Views
Helpful
Replies