Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi-Layer Switching

cmadiam82
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts!

Can you enlight me one this one pls? I attached a simple design for us to have refference on my question. I try'd to configure this scenario on boson but I think i miss something. I configure the L3 switch to do Inter-VLAN routing. All is working fine. Ping from Vlan 10 to 20 and 30 is ok and vice versa. But when I try to ping the IP Add off the router, I can,t ping it. Do I have to make another VLAN for the router or can i use the default VLAN (VLAN 1) on the L3 Switch so that i can ping from PC1, PC2 and PC 3 and vice versa from Router 1. Can someone help me on this one?

Thnx in advance!!!

2 Replies 2

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

I cannot open your vsd file for some reason but as per your description you can connect you router on vlan 1 configured interface on switch.

Assign the router port ip address in same subnet which you have assigned on your layer 3 switch for interface vlan 1.

Then you will be bale to ping from your vlan 1 machine to router for sure. Now to ping this router from vlan 2 and vlan 3 machine you need a reverse route to vlan 2 and 3 subnet on router to point it back to vlan 1 interface on your layer 3 switch.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can either make another layer 2 vlan and another layer 3 SVI on the L3 switch and assign the port that goes to the router on that vlan or just make the connecting port on the L3 switch a routed port with a address on that port . If there is no routing protocol on the L3 switch and router you would need to setup static routes on both sides to be able to ping back and forth otherwise setup a routing protocol like ospf and let it do the routing for you .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card