Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

multicast iptv stream from provider

Hello,

We have an provider for iptv, he sends us a multicast stream on a certain source e.g. 239.232.1.1

The source for this stream is an ip-address on his network e.g. 104.103.102.1

We don't get an ip-address from him on this subnet.

We have no route to him.

All we have is the connection coming in on one gigethernet port of our Cat6509  e.g. int Gi4/20

There is no PIM between us and the iptv-provider

Our network is Layer3 connected like this

int gi4/20 link to iptv provider

corerouter1     int gi2/1   ip address  172.29.1.1/30   ------------------------------ corerouter2   int gi2/1 ip address 172.29.1.2/30

int gi2/2   ip address   172.29.1.181/30                                                 int gi2/2 ip address 172.29.1.185/30

|                                                                                                     |

|                                                                                                     |

|                              cat4507re clientrouter                                        |

----------    int gi1/1                                             int gi1/2 --------------------

ip add 172.29.1.182/30                          ip add 172.29.1.186/30

also  router for vlan 2117  ip address 172.29.17.254/24

clients for the iptv are on the 'client router' in vlan 2117

Actually there are a lot of different client routers with clients on different vlans, but the fundamental setup is the same.

Multicast routing is enabled everywhere , sparse-dense on all interfaces

corerouter1 and corerouter2 are configured to be candidate RP's 

corerouter2 is the actual RP

Problem: how do I get the clients on clientrouter on vlan2117 to receive the multicast stream coming from the provider.

If I configure int gi4/20 on corerouter2 to be an access switchport in a vlan , the clients in that vlan receive the stream,

but nobody outside that vlan receives the stream.

I've been looking at igmp-proxy but I don't know if that is the right solution for my problem.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Kind regards.

D. Vanoverschelde

Everyone's tags (3)
1 REPLY

Re: multicast iptv stream from provider

Hi D. Vanoverschelde

I think the solutions of this problem to create sparse-dense mode into the giga Ethernet and interface vlan on both corerouter2 and cat4507

You can solve this problem by creating ip pim sparse-dense mode into the interface giga and interface vlan

Or you can create port channel on both routers like the following

At corerouter2:

1-    Create port channel

# interface Port-channel2

description "To cat4507"

ip address 172.29.1.185 255.255.255.252

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

2-    Configure   int gi2/2

description "To cat4507 client router"

no ip address

logging event link-status

channel-group 2 mode on

## If you don’t need to create port channel on both routers, so you can add ip pim command into the interface giga2/2 on corerouter2 and the interface giga1/2 on client router

At cat4507re clientrouter :

1-    Create port channel:

# interface Port-channel2

description "To corerouter2"

ip address 172.29.1.186 255.255.255.252

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

2-    Configure   int gi1/2:

description "To corerouter2"

no ip address

logging event link-status

channel-group 2 mode on

3-    Create any interface vlan :