cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multicast over etherchannel

phillipediab
Level 1
Level 1

does etherchannel cause multicast packets to be received out of sequence, gapping, duplicate..etc ??? in general, would etherchannel affect multicast traffic ?

8 Replies 8

nambi_gct
Level 1
Level 1

etherchannel should NOT affect multicast.From software perspective it is just an interface, though there are many physical interfaces.Whether unicast or multicast, ether channel load sharing happens in the same way.There is no possibility of duplicate introduced by etherchannel.

thanks -

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The traffic will be treated the same as unicast. No out of sequence, gaping or duplicate should be seen. The hashing algorithm when distributing the load will prevent that.

You can change the load balancing on the etherchanneling depending upon your switch.

Load balancing can be:

port-channel load-balance {dst-ip | dst-mac | src-dst-ip | src-dst-mac | src-ip | src-mac}

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1276203

Thanks -

May i ask what hashing algorithm are you talking about? Thanks.

ramixpe81
Level 1
Level 1

i thought the multicast will go only through the default port !!

Hello,

The default port was a concept used, to my best knowledge, only on 2900XL/3500XL/2950/2955/3550 Catalyst switches. Newer switches do not implement the concept of a default port in an EtherChannel bundle, and instead, load-balance all traffic using the same hashing mechanism.

See the following document for more information (search for the "default port" in the document contents):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml

Best regards,

Peter

ramixpe81
Level 1
Level 1

helpfull thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card