Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

multicast question !!

I have a multicast network running Anycast. I am trying to test the configuration using "igmp join-group x.x.x.x" on the two loopback interfaces of RP routers. MSDP is working fine and I am also getting ping response to group address from both routers when I send ping from another router in the domain.

The problem is that after getting successfull response ping packets starts dropping. The interface goes in Pruned state. It happens when I do failover testing by shutting interface on one RP router as well as I have seen this happening when both routers are up.

Is this anormal behaviour of "igmp joing-group" or does it indicate an issue with config? I have not found out any relevant document.

Would appreciate some help !!

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: multicast question !!

Hello Fawad,

the usage of ip igmp join-group should be limited to functional tests with ping to multicast address group.

I would suggest you to setup a real multicast source and to have a real receiver.

One of the simplest way to do this is to use VLC from videolan that allows to send out a multicast stream on one PC and to receive it on another PC.

see

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content