Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Multicast - RP losing sync with distribution router

Hi,

Part of my security cameras are on my IP network. The camera a sending a unicast flow to the archiving server and a multicast flow for the real time viewer.

Problem is overtime, multicast entry is deleted from the RP source table. In this case, the RP is a core6509. The distribution router always keep the entry but there is no refresh

Question : Is there any timeout for multicast session entry in the RP. Is there a way to refresh the RP table whitout clearing the mroute entry in the distribution router

1 REPLY

Re: Multicast - RP losing sync with distribution router

Hi there,

There are a few ways that you can keep a multicast entry alive, but the all revolve around having some multicast traffic.

I would configure the router closest to the real time viewer to be permanently in the multicast group. There is an interface command "ip icmp join-group 239.x.x.x", this will make sure that the flow is always passed through to the router.

Also, to keep the flow alive, you can set a router (here I would use the one closest to the ip camera) to poll the 239.x.x.x address, thus creating the multicast traffic.

You can do this in 2 ways, either by setting the ip sla monitor to ping the multicast group every minute or so, or have a kron job do it. Personally, I would use the ip sla monitor,as I've never really had much joy with the kron scheduler.

Check out this link for more details:-

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cr/hsla_r/sla_01h.htm#wp1048913

Basically, you'll be keeping the multicast stream alive between the router that connects to the camera and the router that connects to the viewer.

Have a go and let me know how it goes!

Best Regards,

LH

** Please rate all posts **

Views
Helpful
Replies