Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

Multicast Traffic on switch

Hello,

How do I limit Multicast traffic on a switch. I have a switch (switch A) on the network that I use for imaging new PC. The image server (Ghost) and the PC's are connected to this switch A and switch A has a trunk to other switch on the network.

When I start imaging, the whole network comes down as a result of multicast traffic. I have enabled ip multicast routing and ip pim sparse-dense mode on the interface vlan, and still the network is affected.

How do I limit Multicast traffic to Switch A, and prevent it from going over the trunk to other switches on the network?

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: Multicast Traffic on switch

Hi Holley,

You could choose any of the following methods depending on your requirement.

1. Switch(config-if)# switchport block multicast Blocks unknown multicast forwarding to the port.

2.If you are open to the trunk port moving to blocking state when there is a flood of Multicast Traffic. You could try the following alternative

Switch(config-if)# storm-control {broadcast | multicast | unicast} level {level [level-low] | pps pps [pps-low]}

The keywords have these meanings:

For level, specify the rising threshold level for broadcast, multicast, or unicast traffic as a percentage of the bandwidth. The storm control action occurs when traffic utilization reaches this level.

Switch(config-if)# storm-control action {shutdown | trap}

Specifies the action to be taken when a storm is detected

3.You can also try and put ACL's on the trunk port for Multicast Traffic(224.0.0.0 - 239.0.0.0). I have not yet tried this.

HTH.

Amit

Re: Multicast Traffic on switch

Thanks,

I have tried all the above and multicasting still brings down the network.

Sample int config.

int fa0/1

description to other cisco switch

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

switchport block multicast

storm-control multicast 10

storm-control action shutdown

ip access-group 101 out

access-list 101 deny ip 224.0.0.0 15.255.255.255 any

access-list 101 deny any 224.0.0.0 15.255.255.255

access-list 101 permit ip any any