Views
Helpful
Replies

multicasting_in_3750switch_not_receiving_in_all_Vlans

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I have a cisco 3750 48 port switch with 7 vlans created. I have configured multicasting in the switch. Multicasting transmission server is connected in one vlan(vlanT) and receivers are connected in other vlans(VlanRs).

I test the multicasting with the use of Wireshark software(similar to ethereal). I am getting 239.x.x.x traffic only when i connect to VlanT.

I am not getting multicast streams in other vlans...I am using the software ipservices-mz-122.25.SEE4. I tried with other ios also. no success

Configurations..

ip routing

ip multicast-routing distributed

no ip igmp snooping

interface vlanT

ip address x.x.x.x

ip pim dense mode

interface VlanRs

ip address x.x.x.x

ip pim dense mode

Could some one help me on this....

I checked with other pim modes, version etc...

regards

Rajesh

6 Replies 6

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rajesh,

What is the TTL value set on the test multicast packets you are sending. A common issue is that packets are sent with a TTL value of 1, which means that they will not be seen beyond the local subnet.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi,

Okay, I have to check the TTL value. Could you tell me what should be the value set on the multicasting server?

Regards

Rajesh

it all depends if u want to have security, so ur packets do not go over a certain radius or number of multicast hops.

You could pick a value that is the number of hops between your farthest client and your application.

else if you want to troubleshoot, set it to 25 or 30 and watch if it improves, then start reducing it ( so u have it working + security).

HTH

Sam

Rajesh,

In your current scenario, it looks like you only that one device involved, right? In this case setting the TTL to 2 will be fine.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

rsohi
Level 1
Level 1

Rajesh, I notice that you have defined the pim mode but not the pim rendevous point. You may have to add the statement 'ip pim rp x.x.x.x' in order for pim to work properly. Give the address of one of your vlan interfaces (ie. vlanT interface ip address).

Also, I notice that you have to 'no ip igmp snooping' command in your show run. With this command you will be sending multicast through to all the ports and not the ones that actually are members of a multicast group, which is adding additional traffic to your switch.

hope this helps,

Raj

Raj,

There is no need for an RP as Rajesh configured the interfaces in dense mode.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card