Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Multicasting with Layer2 Switch

Hi mates : )

Please see attached figure, i draw the network for you guys to make it simpler to understand my question.

I have one switch (about to order if you guys approve it), one VLAN and all hosts are connected to that switch. 4 multicast servers send video stream to 4 receievers. all receievers are supposed to get video from any server at any time (dynamically change the multicast group).

I know (thanks to jon.marshall) i should be able to manage multicast traffic without any layer 3 device if the layer 2 switch has these functions:

- IGMP snooping

- IGMP snooping querier

So i choose WS-C2960G-8TC-L as layer 2 switch. But one of my friend told me that the switch itsel does not generate the IGMP query so i cant manage IGMP traffic with this configuraton.

I appreciate any help about if the design (network.jpg) is correct and i can manage multicast trafficc with 29602G-8TC-L

Thanks in advance for helping.

1 REPLY
VIP Super Bronze

Re: Multicasting with Layer2 Switch

Hi Ohal,

From the 2960 command reference giude:

ip igmp snooping querier

Use the ip igmp snooping querier global configuration command to globally enable the Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) querier function in Layer 2 networks. Use the command with keywords to enable and configure the IGMP querier feature on a VLAN interface. Use the no form of this command to return to the default settings.

ip igmp snooping querier [vlan vlan-id] [address ip-address | max-response-time response-time | query-interval interval-count | tcn query [count count | interval interval] | timer expiry | version version]

no ip igmp snooping querier [vlan vlan-id] [address | max-response-time | query-interval | tcn query { count count | interval interval} | timer expiry | version

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/command/reference/cli1.html#wp6248718

If this is all you need you are good to go with 2960.

HTH

Reza

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content