Views
Helpful
Replies

Multihoming Microsoft NLB servers

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

Hello

We're in the process of multihoming our HP Enclosures. I've attached diagrams of the current and proposed network/server setup.

Initially we configured HSRP so that the server VLAN 100 gateway could float between the 4507 and the 6509. Redundant links were added between the 6509 and the Enclosure. Spanning Tree was configured so that the 4507 was the root for VLAN 100 and the links between the 6509 and the Enclosure were blocked. We've simulated “failure” of the 4507 and various links and everything worked as expected - so far so good.

Our server admins are planning to move some Microsoft NLB servers onto the Enclosure (we are looking at a hardware solution for loadbalancing but this won't be implemented anytime soon)

The 4507 has the “mac-address-table static” entries for the NLB frontends as per the Cisco document ID 107995. Is it possible to configure “mac-address-table static” entries on the 6509 so that if the 4507 fails, the MS NLB clusters will still continue to function once HSRP and Spanning Tree have converged.

Hope that all made sense

Thanks

Andy

2 Replies 2

jose.solano
Level 1
Level 1

I think that is not good solution. I suggest use VSS.

thanks for the reply - had a look at VSS and it looks interesting but requires 2 6500 switches.

cheers

andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: