Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Multiple NME-X or NME-XD Switch modules in a 3900 router and stacking?

If you install multiple NME-X or NME-XD switching modules in a 3900 series router do they 'see' each other via the backplane or would you need to use the external stackwise cables?  I can't seem to find any information on this scenario.  I was hoping there was some internal stackwise capability on the 3900 backplane that would prevent the use of external stackwise cables but can't find anything.

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Multiple NME-X or NME-XD Switch modules in a 3900 router and

Hi Andy

These modules are not officially supported in the ISR G2 routers, see attached doc for details.

The replacement modules support MGF (Multigigabit Fabric) which as far as i understand it allows inter-module communication with going via the main CPU.

Jon

Hi Jon, long time no speak?  Hows things with you?  Working anywhere good?

As for the EtherSwitch modules and MGF - I can't see in that document anything about the NME-X or NME-XD modules which I assume means they aren't supported in the 3900 series?  So the replacements are the SM-ESxx modules which use the MGFI.  I found a Q&A on this but can't see if this means two would 'stack' in a 3900 and apear as one logical switch?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/qa_c67_554789.html

Andy

Hall of Fame Super Blue

andrew.butterworth wrote:

Hi Jon, long time no speak?  Hows things with you?  Working anywhere good?

As for the EtherSwitch modules and MGF - I can't see in that document anything about the NME-X or NME-XD modules which I assume means they aren't supported in the 3900 series?  So the replacements are the SM-ESxx modules which use the MGFI.  I found a Q&A on this but can't see if this means two would 'stack' in a 3900 and apear as one logical switch?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/qa_c67_554789.html

Andy

Andy

Due to family stuff still not working. That's about 2 and a bit years now so i reckon i'll be all but unemployable in the networking field when i finally get round to looking !

If you do a search for NME-X in the doc it comes up under the "Unsupported modules" at the bottom.

As or MGF, had no direct experience with it.  It sounds like there is an interconnect between the modules as opposed to having to physically cable them together but i haven't found any specific docs relating to stacking them. I'm not sure MGF would make them appear as one logical switch though, rather it is jusy a data interconnect which relieves the main CPU etc. from having to process the inter-module traffic.

Jon

Cheers Jon.  Found some other bits of info now so I am leaning towards there being no stacking capability for two in the same chassis - 'parity with 2960 & 3560'?  Sounds like the HIMI provides 1Gbps between modules but again it isn't that clear?  I'll keep digging...

Good luck with the job hunting and I am pretty sure you won't have any issues getting a position.

Andy

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Andy

No problem. If you find anything definitive or actually get to use them would be interested to know exactly how it works.

Cheers

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies