Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLAN question

dgeorgeadis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 3548xl switch that I need to connect to an appliance that understands 802.1q. I need to have vlan 10 untagged, and vlan 225 tagged.

I have tried making the port a trunk, and allowing only these 2 vlans on the trunk, and vlan 10 as the native vlan, but it does not seem to work.

Is there another way to accomplish this? I have an HP switch that has this functionality, so I am assuming that this can be done on a 3548xl.

Thanks!

Dave

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dave

I would think that setting up an 802.1q trunk would be the solution. What you describe sounds like it should have worked. After you set up the trunk did you verify that it was trunking and that the encapsulation was 802.1q? I am finding it difficult to locate documentation but it looks like the 3548xl supports both ISL encapsulation and 802.1q encapsulation. I am not sure but it looks like ISL was the default encapsulation.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks, after some experimenting, I figured it out. You were 100% correct, I had not configured the trunk to dot1q. It is now working as expected.

Thanks again.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for posting back to the thread and indicating that your problem was resolved. It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can read the solution to the problem. I am glad that my post was helpful in this. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card