Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLAN\Routing Help Please.

johnnymac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have inherrited a small network and I am tasked with changing the current ip scheme. The current topology is flat and using 1.0.84.0/24 as it's internal range. Im planning to do away with the current scheme and add in a little segmentation using three networks (as Detailed in the IP_VLAN.pdf).

What I wanted to do initially was set the up the initial config and then test connectivity/proof of concept using the 1.*.*.0./24 and the 192.168.32.0/24 networks. I have attached the current config for the my main switch (svrswitch.pdf).

I have all VLANS (1,2,3,10) set up on all switches and SVI's on the main switch. I have a host on VLAN 3 in Switch_1F_2 using 192.168.32.1 as its default gateway.

The two problems I am having are, after changing the default-gateway on a host on 1.0.84.0/24 network to 1.0.84.37 i can only get connectivity by using the "route add" command on the host in Windows dos prompt. So I think I maybe be missing something in terms of routing.

The other problem is regarding establishing DHCP. I can't seem to get my host on the 192.168.32.0/24 to communicate with the DHCP server? The server is currently handing out 1.0.84.0/24 addresses, would that be a problem as they are on different subnets.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

J Mack

20 Replies 20

I any ideas with this?

I any ideas with this?

Hi,

Sorry about the multiple posts above, IE got a bit upset. Just another quick question.

I have IP routing enabled on my VLAN server switch. Do I need to have ip routing enabled on the other switches that are behaving as VLAN clients in my VTP domain.

Regards

J Mac

Hi John,

No need to enable routing on client switches. You need to enable routing on only SRV switch which is acting as a core for all edge switches.

Thanks

cool, thats what i've done.

I any ideas with this?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card