Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Multiple VLAN's on a single Interface

I have fiber unit that requires us to set Vlans that I connect to a Catalyst 4948 via fiber before connecting to my Cat6500 via Ethernet. I only have 4 connection from the Fiber unit to the Cat4948 but I have 100 Vlans to create. Currently I have Fa0/1 as below working. This Interface isn't passing the Vlan to the Cat6500.

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport access vlan 64

switchport mode access

How to I allow Vlans 50-100 on this interface? I have created the Interface Vlans and added them to the GigE but when I did (see below) it didn't work. Am I missing something?

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 50-100

switchport mode trunk

no cdp enable

** her is the gigE inter

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 50-100 switchport mode trunk

Thanks

Gabrielle

2 REPLIES

Re: Multiple VLAN's on a single Interface

Hi,

Ports on Catalyst 6500 are layer 3. You must use the interface configuration command "switchport" in order to set as a layer 2 port.

I hope this helps.

Massimiliano.

Re: Multiple VLAN's on a single Interface

My Cat 6500 are switchport but the Vlan is not being passed to the 6500 - they reside in a different Vlan on the 6500- The fiber device requires the use of certain Vlan numbers that I am trying to us on the 4948.

I am trying to use mulitple Vlans on the Fa0/1 port on the 4948 - the 6500 doesn't care what traffic it gets.

Thanks

G

Views
Helpful
Replies