Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

multiple VLANs on Intel NIC Pro 1000 GT and trunks on 3560/3750 switches

I have a Cisco 3560 switch and I have configured a port as a trunk port like this:

switchport mode trunk

swithport trunk encapsulation dot1q

I also have an Intel Network card PRO 1000 GT in a desktop computer and I have configured multiple VLANs on the NIC. I cannot get them to work at all. I have tried different ports on the switch, a different switch (Cisco 3750) and still no luck.

The NIC works fine if I don't setup the VLANs on it. It also works fine if I setup an "untagged VLAN". (i.e. switchport trunk native vlan 100).

I called Intel and they seem to think it's a configuration problem on the Cisco switch.

I'm thinking the frames are being tagged differently somehow and that's why it's not working.

2 REPLIES
Purple

Re: multiple VLANs on Intel NIC Pro 1000 GT and trunks on 3560/3

The native vlan must match on both sides,if you set up the trunk with a native vlan of 100 on the nic then the trunk setup on the switch must also be native vlan 100 in order for the trunk to work correctly.

Re: multiple VLANs on Intel NIC Pro 1000 GT and trunks on 3560/3

Ok, I made a little progress. I setup an "untagged" VLAN on the NIC and then I also setup VLAN 260 on the NIC.

On the switch side, I setup VLAN 100 as the native VLAN. VLAN 260 seems to work as received a DHCP address on that VLAN. However, VLAN 100 didn't work at all.

Then I added VLAN 100 on the NIC side and still nothing on that VLAN.

Then I tried using VLAN 300 as the native vlan on the switch but that didn't work either.

The Intel NIC doesn't give you the option to specify a VLAN ID for the "untagged" native VLAN.

Any suggestions?

Views
Helpful
Replies