Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Multiple vPC domains on a single Nexus 7000

Is this possible ?

I have a customer with three rooms where teh access layer aggregation switches are run back to.

Access Switch Stack A -> room 1 + room 2

Access Switch Stack B -> room 2 + room 3

Is it possible to have three Nexus 7000s ie one in each room (1,2 and 3) and have them setup like this:

Nexus 7000#1     vPC domain 1

Nexus 7000#2     vPC domain 1 + vPC domain 2

Nexus 7000#3     vPC domain 2

Thus gving all access switch stacks redundant links to the core withouit spanning tree.

I know its not ideal but its a campus site and thats how the existing fibre runs go.

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi

As I said it is just not possible to create two peer-links. You will not be able even to apply the second peer-link command. Does not matter how many domains you have. That limitation.

Nik

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You will not be able to configure two peer-links to Nexus 7000#1 and 7000#3 on 7000#2. So this is not possible. Why don't you want to connect both stack to a single pair of Nexus switches?

Nik

Silver

pcolbeck wrote:

Is this possible ?

I have a customer with three rooms where teh access layer aggregation switches are run back to.

Access Switch Stack A -> room 1 + room 2

Access Switch Stack B -> room 2 + room 3

Is it possible to have three Nexus 7000s ie one in each room (1,2 and 3) and have them setup like this:

Nexus 7000#1     vPC domain 1

Nexus 7000#2     vPC domain 1 + vPC domain 2

Nexus 7000#3     vPC domain 2

Thus gving all access switch stacks redundant links to the core withouit spanning tree.

I know its not ideal but its a campus site and thats how the existing fibre runs go.

From the following guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/interfaces/configuration/guide/if_vPC.html#wp1803465

vPC Peer Link Overview

You can have only two devices as vPC peers; each device can serve as a  vPC peer to only one other vPC peer. The vPC peer devices can also have  non-vPC links to other devices.

So no, you can't. Each Nexus can only establish a peer-link with one other chassis.

As a matter of fact, directly below that quote is a picture of exactly what you're asking under the heading "

Figure 7-4     vPC Peer Configurations That Are Not Allowed"

Cheers.

Its still ambiguos. I am not sure if the diagrams etc are referrng to a single vPC domain. I know you cant have >2 devices as vPC peers but whay happens if you create two vPC domains. The middle device is in both domains. Within each domain it only has a single peer.i

Cisco Employee

Hi

As I said it is just not possible to create two peer-links. You will not be able even to apply the second peer-link command. Does not matter how many domains you have. That limitation.

Nik

Thats a shame. It means they will have to use two contexts on the middle switch to get uplink resliance from the access layer stacks.

I dont like the three switch model but unfortunatley its dictated by the existing fibre runs on the campus.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content