Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VTP domains question

chris.cumbaa
Level 1
Level 1

Setup:

VTP Domain XXX (client) <<---802.1q--->> VTP Domain YYY (client) <<---802.1q--->> VTP domain XXX (server)

Question:

Will VTP domain XXX client be updated by VTP domain XXX server? Both VTP domains have different VTP passwords. Can VTP domain YYY client be updated by a YYY server? All trunks configured as nonegotiate to eliminate DTP.

VTP v1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

As long as you keep the VTP Domain YYYY Server in the Transparent mode, it should work.

However if you make the VTP Domain YYYY host as Transparent, it will NOT participate in any VTP Advertisements i.e. it will neither send nor implement any updates for the VTP Domain YYYY, however it will pass-on the VTP Domain XXXX through itself.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Chris,

Will VTP domain XXX client be updated by VTP domain XXX server ?

No, this will not happen.

Can VTP domain YYY client be updated by a YYY server?

No this will also not happen, VTP domain name should match.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

So the switches will drop any advertisements of another VTP domain, rather than ignore and forward? If I were to run YYY client in transparent mode and upgrade to VTP v2, XXX client would then receive XXX updates, right?

Hi,

As long as you keep the VTP Domain YYYY Server in the Transparent mode, it should work.

However if you make the VTP Domain YYYY host as Transparent, it will NOT participate in any VTP Advertisements i.e. it will neither send nor implement any updates for the VTP Domain YYYY, however it will pass-on the VTP Domain XXXX through itself.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Good question here Chris. However, I think the real key is using VTP v2. V1 will not pass along vtp advertisements if it does not belong to the same VTP Domain, V2 will. This information holds true for Transparent mode, I'm unsure if a client in the middle will.

Hi,

If you are running VTP V2 only the VTP transparent switch will pass the VTP advertisments to the other client. VTP V2 client will never forwards the VTP adverstisement with a different domain name.

HTH,

-amit singh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card