cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multipule routing protocole (LAN)

alialjamri2008
Level 1
Level 1

I want to know what is the drawback of using multipule routing protocole (rip 2, and EIGRP) on the same LAN network.

Thanks

Ali

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ali,

The reason you are looking to use two different routing protocols (RIP & EIGRP) in the network looks like

needed.
But the impacts by having two routing protocols in network are what Ric said exactly.

I understood that you are going to migrate slowly from RIP to EIGRP is that?

So here, what I woud suggest is roll out RIP at some places with EIGRP and where at critical/necessary sites keep RIP

for some time and have a static routes or redistribution into EIGRP may good idea.

What I experienced is that migrated from OSPF to EIGRP, what I did is implemented EIGRP at all sites and once the topology is formed means neighbor shipe formed and routing table established and everything is working fine. Then I removed the OSPF config from site to site and then observed that the routes learning through EIGRP and users working fine without facing any issues. This is did in the off business hours once I get the change approval.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The question here why you need two routing protocols ?

Answer depends on your needs and design

Generally speaking it is better to keep it simple always and two routing protocols might add some complexity but not always

HTH

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Ali

Here are a few things to consider about the impact of using multiple routing protocols on the same LAN network:

- it increases the amount of routing protocol traffic transmitted over the LAN (increased use of bandwidth.

- since different routing protocols make different decisions about what is the best route to use it is possible that you would have one set of devices using one path to a destination while other devices use a different path to get to the same destination and this could lead to assymetic traffic patterns.

- if some devices/routers are running both protocols then they are doing more work (more processor overhead) than they would do with only a single routing protocol.

- with different routing protocols and different routing decisions it could make troubleshooting problems in the network more complex and difficult.

- when running different routing protocols you may want/need to redistribute between the protocols. This can make the routing logic more complex. And if redistribution is not done carefully it could produce routing loops.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The reason behind this need, because we are currently running with rip and our network is about 6 sites and consisting of 65 Nos. of 3560 switches.
and currently we  need to convert to eigrp to keep some redundant/backup routes on our routing table, I just thinking to convert to eigrp on some places.
If you have better ideas please advise.

Ali

If you can post couple of diagrams showing the current topology and the planed one will be better before we can advise you which way is better

Hi Ali,

The reason you are looking to use two different routing protocols (RIP & EIGRP) in the network looks like

needed.
But the impacts by having two routing protocols in network are what Ric said exactly.

I understood that you are going to migrate slowly from RIP to EIGRP is that?

So here, what I woud suggest is roll out RIP at some places with EIGRP and where at critical/necessary sites keep RIP

for some time and have a static routes or redistribution into EIGRP may good idea.

What I experienced is that migrated from OSPF to EIGRP, what I did is implemented EIGRP at all sites and once the topology is formed means neighbor shipe formed and routing table established and everything is working fine. Then I removed the OSPF config from site to site and then observed that the routes learning through EIGRP and users working fine without facing any issues. This is did in the off business hours once I get the change approval.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card