cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

My first T1 line....I need help!

cisco_himg
Level 1
Level 1

Ok we just bought a T1 line for a remote office from Verizon.

We are going to have about 5 tablets pc's and one regular pc..

What do i need to get started????

HELP!!!!

18 Replies 18

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

I suppose you will need to have the 5 tablets and pc be reachable from the main office and visa versa, I suppose the remote internet access would be through main office.

First, verizon gave the parameter you will need to configure the router. Let's assume that you are able to bring up the interface and able to make a layer 3 connection between the main router the branch router. You will then have to decide how you want the layer to route? Either dynamically or statically. It will be easiest to go to static routing. With these generalized procedure, you should be able to determine where to start. Which would be the provision from verizon and to get the main router and remote office router talking.

We have a webvpn connection that I set up on our ASA. would i need to get a router or not?

I want to make the the least expensive as possible. I mean i have a couple extra catalyst 3750's and a 1841 router, but would i even need that?

What does companies like Verizon give someone when they sign up for a T1 line? I am sure they are not just gonna run a line into the building and thats it...

How does that work?

What I meant is could i just use the Internet and just connect to our WEBVPN page? Rather than get all the equipment?

I guess the question you need to ask yourself now is."Can the end user access and work normally from Web VPN?" Are you running OWA? I would suggest cutting cost and getting business class DSL (single static) at T1 speed and creating a vpn tunnel to your ASA/PIX.

With only a hand full of users, it's not worth the cost with what your needing.

--Opps just read the post, you already purchased the T1.

so, I will keep the T1 DSL from verizon.

What should i get to connect to the modem?

Maybe just a wireless router from Linksys? But at what frequency? 802.11a/b/g ? I just didnt know with the T1 speed of which one to get?

You can take a few apporaches with your scenario.

WIFI: How big is the location? Would wifi be able to cover the entire area?

Or you can connect a switch to the modem but this will cause you to run network lines to the end users, which will add cost. Roughly $150.00 plus per line these days.

So, is this a DSL or an actual T1?

This is a small Doctors office.

THis is going to be a T1.

Does that help?

What's plugged into the T1 now?

nothing, they havent gotten the T1 in there yet. i was trying to get a view on how to do this before they installed.

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Dustin:

To lay out some foundations on your question.. What type of T-1 was purchased. Was it a point to point T-1 between your offic enad the remote office or a Layer 2 or layer 3 MPLS T-1 or just an raw Internet access T-1?

I believe it was just a RAW Internet access T-1

OK if a raw internet access then they should have provided to you public IP address(es) for you to use. They should also have provided to you a hand off for the T-1. Are they handing to you a T-1 handoff? or are they terminating the T-1 to their own supported router and handing to you Ethernet? To go further to answer you situation concerns is that you need to connect your two offices together via some encrypted way. Dependant upon the equipment you currently have would determine your solution. If you have a firewall then I would suggest throwing that onto the outside of the Internet access. If you have just a router, see about getting an IOS that supports IOS firewall . Either way I would not allow your access directly on the internet without protection...

what if i just leave the raw internet connection as it, and just use WEBVPN to connect to our site?

Yes,that will work also but it's browser base which means the users will access all folder and files from the web interface.

You can also configure the clients to use VPN and bypass the browser all together. You'll need to use Cisco VPN client or either the new AnyConnect Client wich supports both 32bit and 64bit pc. My network is setup for both, however, my end users only use the client VPN.

Here's a link I used when I started.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00806ea271.shtml')">http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00806ea271.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco