Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT problem

Hi,

On my Cisco router running NAT service I have some devices on a couple of vlans which are on the inside network.  They can communicate with each other fine and can access the Internet.

I also have some client devices on a vlan designated as the outside network because this vlan has the gateway router to the Internet on it.

The devices on this vlan include a wireless AP, the clients that connect to this AP, and a couple of wired games consoles.

They get their IP address from the Cisco router and also their gateway configuration points to the Cisco.

The Cisco has an ip route 0.0.0.0. 0.0.0.0 that points to the Internet router on the outside NAT vlan.

So all devices on the outside network can access the Internet, but they can not reach the devices on the inside network.

When I issue a ping on any of them, the reply comes back from the Cisco, and not the pinged device on the inside network.

What am I doing wrong?

Here is some of the relevant config.

Thanks

interface Vlan10

description VLAN10-WIRELESS

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly in

!

ip nat inside source list 10 interface Vlan10 overload

ip nat inside source list 30 interface Vlan10 overload

ip nat inside source list 40 interface Vlan10 overload

!

! static route out to Internet router

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.3

I read about a solution to this issue, in that I should set this Vlan10 to be an inside network and use a loopback interface as an outside network, then use a static route to forward Internet traffic to the router at 192.168.1.3.

Can someone explain how I can get that to work.

1 Reply 1

dbrognaux
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could you give us all the config of your Cisco router and your AP please ?

If I understand your schema :

INET -------- OUTSIDE VLAN (AP) ------------------- interfaceX (dhcp/nat) CISCO interfaceX (dhcp/nat) -------------- INSIDE VLAN

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco