Views
Helpful
Replies

native untagged

julxu
Level 1
Level 1

hi

I have glable configured "vlan dot1q tag native", I guess that means all native vlan will be tagged.

I need one port (cat6500) with native vlan untagged.

do I have power untag only on the port, not take glable configure out,

Any comments are appreicated

thanks in advance

julxu

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies 5

podhillo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There can only be one native Vlan, that has to be defined globally.If you want it to be tagged it has to be configured globally . You can not change it per interface basis.

Regards,

podhillo

Podhillo,

I do not entirely agree. On different trunks, you can have different native VLANs. While not a recommended design, it nevertheless is possible.

I believe that the OP wanted to deactivate the tagging of a native VLAN on a selected trunk while having it activated on all other trunk using the global configuration command vlan dot1q tag native. Unfortunately, I don't know whether there is a command for something like that.

What I can recommend to solve this issue is to remove the vlan dot1q tag native command from the configuration and create a new separate and otherwise unused VLAN (let's call it the VLAN X) that will be configured as the native VLAN on all trunk ports except the one on which some particular VLAN needs to be untagged. As the VLAN X will be unused, no frames will be sent in it, thereby making the port using the VLAN X as the native VLAN to tag all other (i.e. effectively all) taffic.

Best regards,

Peter

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Julxu,

Native VLAN tagging on a per port basis is supported after 12.2(33)SXH.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/dot1qtnl.html#Configuring_the_Switch_to_Tag_Native_VLAN_Traffic_Globally

Please rate if helps.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Hello Lei,

Thanks for letting us know about this. Wonderful! I did not know about that. This is definitely a better solution I've originally proposed above.

Best regads,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the great rating. Glad that I can provide useful information.

Regards,

Lei Tian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card