Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Native VLAN Question

If I have a trunk between two switches using 802.1q I understand that the native vlan on both trunk ports needs to match.

My question is, can I just create a new arbitrary vlan and make it the native vlan for the trunk ports on either end?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

yes, you can very well do that...the purpose of making a VLAN as native is to have the packets from that VLAN go untagged though the trunk....you can create a new VLAN say 10. Go under the trunk interface and type "Switch(config-if)#switchport trunk native vlan 10"....the same command is to be replicated on the other switch

---

Posted by WebUser Uwais Siddiqi

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you can, as long as that vlan is the same on both sides of the trunk.  Actually,  It is recommended not to use the default native vlan (1) and change it to a different number.

HTH

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Yes, the native VLAN is the VLAN which does not carry a 4-Byte "Q-TAG" specified in the 802.1Q standard , so it is simply used for control plane traffic like CDP. Cisco's recommendation is to avoid using VLAN 1 though. Good luck

So - use any VLAN, just not VLAN 1, and yes - they need to match

Atle

---

Posted by WebUser Atle Ørn Hardarson

Thanks guys

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

yes, you can very well do that...the purpose of making a VLAN as native is to have the packets from that VLAN go untagged though the trunk....you can create a new VLAN say 10. Go under the trunk interface and type "Switch(config-if)#switchport trunk native vlan 10"....the same command is to be replicated on the other switch

---

Posted by WebUser Uwais Siddiqi

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card