cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NBAR for Skype for showing up??

simonwynn
Level 1
Level 1

Simple question about NBAR support Skype, which I have read has been in IOS for a while now. I don't seem to have it, but think I should.

'match protocol skype' doesn't seems to work - i.e. 'skype' is not one of the offered protocols. Also, if I look at 'show ip nbar protocol-discovery', Skype isn't one of the listed protocols, and active Skype traffic get's identified as 'unknown'. Why doesn't this show up in my IOS image?

I'm running version C1841-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(25)

thanks,

Simon

4 Replies 4

Sergei Vasilenko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Simon,

Supported protocols are IOS version/train and platform dependent.

On CCO you could check Table 1 NBAR-Supported Protocols:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/configuration/guide/clsfy_traffic_nbar_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1149389

-----

Note6: Skype was introduced in Cisco IOS Release 12.4(4)T. As a result of this introduction, Skype is now native in (included with) the Cisco IOS software and uses the NBAR infrastructure new to Cisco IOS Release 12.4(4)T. Cisco software supports Skype 1.0, 2.5, and 3.0. Note that certain hardware platforms do not support Skype. For instance, Skype is not supported on the Catalyst 6500 series switch that is equipped with a Supervisor/PISA.

-----

Thanks,

Sergey

Thanks for the response. I'm using an 1841 router, and I'd read somewhere that NBAR/Skype is supported on that platfiorm.

Simon

Hello Simon,

Yes. But at the moment you are using 12.4mainline train on this system - 12.4(25).

But as per CCO doc, the support for Skype was added only in the 12.4T train starting from the 12.4(4)T release.

So you would need to consider it for deployment.

Your migth try lastest rebuilds of the 12.4(20)T+, 12.4(22)T+, 12.4(24)T+ or 12.4(15)T+:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ReleaseType.x?optPlat=&isPlatform=Y&mdfid=279119622&sftType=IOS+Software&treeName=Routers&modelName=Cisco+1841+Integrated+Services+Router&mdfLevel=Model&treeMdfId=268437899&modifmdfid=null&imname=&hybrid=Y&...

Thanks,

Sergey

Ah, OK that makes sense.

I'll try a T release.

Simon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: