cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need advice for a Failover scenario

davesumma
Level 1
Level 1

I have a requirement to advertise the same internal route say 192.168.1.0/24 as an example...on two different sites on the interior of my backbone (currently EIGRP).

In this scenario if the route advertised from site A becomes unreachable then I would like site B to begin advertising the route.

When site A comes live I would like halt the advertisement from site B. Looking for fast convergence times.

Is this possible with EIGRP, BGP, track or other means...and if so can someone suggest sample scripts or documentation?

Thanks!

Dave

2 Replies 2

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

I have a question,

When site A becomes unreachable then I would like site B to begin advertising the route..... would it be possible for site B to always advertise the route but with a higer metric so when site A becomes unavailable your backbone will switch the traffic through site B?

Yes as long as the routing solution sends traffic to the correct subnet and there are no potential issues with the same subnet/mask advertised from two disparate sites.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco