cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need advice switch Active/Active or Active/Standby?

rechard_david
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I would like all of you advice on daigram as in the attach file.

I have 2 ASA 5520 and Core-switch 3560 (2unit), and i want to configure Active/Standy on ASA 5520

but on Core-switch 3560 i'm not sure the technology that i should apply on this.

Should i use Active/Standby or Active/Active? if i use Active/Active which protocal shoudl i use ?

How it process when it fail?

Best Regards,

Rechard

5 Replies 5

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Youc an use HSRP on the LAN side for active/active gateway for the users. You have to use MHSRP multiple groups if you want VLANS to be load-balanced. Typically HSRP works active/standby but can be used for Vlan load-balancing.

You can then deploy either a routing protocol between ASA and 3560's for automatic fail-over. You need newer OS on ASA's for routing protocl support. The easiest solution would be to point  static default route towards ASA and reverse static routes on ASA's to reach back the VLAN segements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_52_se/configuration/guide/swhsrp.html

Dear Amit,

On my site don't configure Vlan.

1- So on my ASA i use command Failover for Active/Standby .

i will use this command :

failover

failover lan unit primary

failover lan interface failover Ethernet0/3

failover key *****

failover replication http

failover link failover Ethernet0/3

failover interface ip failover 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 standby 192.168.1.2

2- i'm not clear about configure HSRP for Active/Active. Note on my site don't have Vlan configure.

Could you give some command for Active/Active on Cisco 3560?

Best Regards,

Rechard

Please could you pase the 3560 switch configurations?

Dear Amit,

Now we not yet implement. before i implemet this sytem i would like to know the process failover on core-switch and ASA.

Do you have sample configure on Core-switch with ASA failover? or any document on this case?

Thanks your for your support!

Best Regards,

Rechard

Dear Amit,

Could i ask you some question about connection from both ASA and both Core-switch as below that:

1- could i combine interface on ASA to Core-swith ?

Ex:

interface Redundant1

member-interface GigabitEthernet0/2

member-interface GigabitEthernet0/3

nameif inside

security-level 100

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 standby 192.168.1.2

================

I mean that G0/2 connect to Core-switch01 and G0/3 connect to Core-switch02.

Does command ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 standby 192.168.1.2 support interface redundant1 ?

or should we use separat interface ( don't use interface redundate 1) for failover?

which option that standart technology?

Best Regards,

rechard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card