Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Cisco Router that can support Fiber optics

mohammadlatif
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

I need Cisco Router that can support at least two port of fiber optic..can you anybody suggest any model for me.......thanks in advance

14 Replies 14

this switch and i need router

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the fibre optic speed you plan to push (per interface).

If total is > 1Gbps, then you should be looking at an ASR1002, RP1 with ESP5 as a minimum.

Master I need at least 4 - 10 GBps per interface

Mohammad,

10 Gbps PER INTERFACE????? 

You opened the thread by saying "at LEAST TWO interfaces".  Exactly how many interfaces do you think you will need?

Leo,

I need router with two Fiber optic interface with speed of 10 GBps

you could use a 7600 router with an  ES+ card which has 4x10GE

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/Hardware/Module_and_Line_Card_Installation_Guides/ES40_Line_Card_Installation_Guide/es40_chap1.html

I think this should solve y9our purpose.

Regards

Inayath

Mohammad,

What will these routers potentially do?  Will they be doing NAT?  What kind of termination will they be getting?

Yes Leo there will be NATing

If you will be doing NAT-ing, then you rule out chassis-based Layer 2/3 switches like 6500.

I can't comment on Inayath's recommendation because I don't know if 7600 can support NAT.   You may have to wait until he logs on so he can verify.

The ASR 1002-X barely can support this.

I could be wrong but if you want to push two 10 Gbps (and room to grow), then you are most likely looking at an ASR 9K.  As to which specific model and what component, I wouldn't hazard a guess because this is a section I have no experience or knowlege of. 

Dear Leo,

Let me clear the senario. we have two IP subnet and we have change all of Backbone switches to Fiber optic supported switches with support of 4 Gbps and 8 Gbps. Now since we have two subnet and it is passing through our router which has only 1000 Mbps Ethernet interface support which make other fiber switches useless. Now therefore we want a router which can support Fiber optic with high speed.

still waiting for the update

Nothing to update and I stand by my recommendation:  Inayath's 7600 or possibly an ASR 9K.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

When it comes to 10g, it would help if you clarify not only minimum number of 10g ports but maximum number of 10g ports too.  Additionally, overall expected capacity (i.e. do you need to support all 10g ports at full concurrent load, or a lower average load).

The ASR1K would be a possible candidate.  Choice of platform would depend on number of 10g ports and aggregate performance needed.  For just dual 10g ports, a ASR1K with a 20-Gbps ESP should do, but other ESPs are for 40, 100 and 200 Gbps.

Leo's suggestion for ASR9Ks is fine too, although probably more expensive.

7600s I believe are now considered end-of-life.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card