Replies

need help before i buy cisco 7604 module ES plus

Dr.X
Level 2
Level 2

hi all ,

i have cisco router 7604

Gateway7600#sh module

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.

--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------

1    9  Supervisor Engine 32 8GE (Active)      WS-SUP32-GE-3B     SAD104204GX

Mod MAC addresses                       Hw   Fw            Sw           Status

--- ---------------------------------- ----- ------------- ------------ -------

1  0018.bad2.2324 to 0018.bad2.232f  4.4   12.2(18r)SX   15.2(4)      Ok

Mod  Sub-Module                  Model              Serial       Hw     Status

---- --------------------------- ------------------ ----------- ------- -------

1  Policy Feature Card 3       WS-F6K-PFC3B       SAD104201HK  2.3    Ok

1  Cat6k MSFC 2A daughterboard WS-F6K-MSFC2A      SAD104004UC  3.1    Ok

Mod  Online Diag Status

---- -------------------

1  Pass

i want to buy a new module called ethernet services module

i followed

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps368/data_sheet_c78-49152.html

but at 2nd table i saw :

Central-forwarding-engine compatibility

The line cards are compatible with the Cisco 7600 Series Supervisor Engine 720-3B/3BXL and Cisco 7600 Series Route Switch Processor 720 (RSP720) and later.

The ES Plus line cards require dual-channel switch-fabric connectivity; therefore, these line cards are not supported with the Cisco 7600 Series Supervisor Engine 32 or in slots 1 through 8 of the Cisco 7613 chassis.

i m wondering

does thi module supported ???

plz advise me before i buy it

regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I haven't used these cards nor a 7600 but the principles are the same as a 6500.

The sup32 only provides connectivity to the shared 32Gbps bus ie. it does not provide any connections to a dedicated switch fabric. Some cards support connectivity to both the shared bus and the switch fabric (fabric enabled cards) and they will use the switch fabric if available and if not they will use the shared bus.

But some cards  eg. the WS-X67xx cards and later require a connection to the dedicated switch fabric ie. they will not be able to use the shared bus. These cards are called fabric only linecards.  If the supervisor does not support connnections to the switch fabric then they won't work.

What that link is telling you looks correct ie. the ES cards have 2 x 20Gbps connections to the dedicated switch fabric. They are fabric only cards ie. they cannot use the shared bus to send and receive data. And because the sup32 only supports a shared bus they will therefore not work.

To run these linecards you would need a supervisor that does provide connections to the switch fabric and that could be either a sup720 or a sup2T.

So no, you shouldn't buy it with your current supervisor as it will not work.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I haven't used these cards nor a 7600 but the principles are the same as a 6500.

The sup32 only provides connectivity to the shared 32Gbps bus ie. it does not provide any connections to a dedicated switch fabric. Some cards support connectivity to both the shared bus and the switch fabric (fabric enabled cards) and they will use the switch fabric if available and if not they will use the shared bus.

But some cards  eg. the WS-X67xx cards and later require a connection to the dedicated switch fabric ie. they will not be able to use the shared bus. These cards are called fabric only linecards.  If the supervisor does not support connnections to the switch fabric then they won't work.

What that link is telling you looks correct ie. the ES cards have 2 x 20Gbps connections to the dedicated switch fabric. They are fabric only cards ie. they cannot use the shared bus to send and receive data. And because the sup32 only supports a shared bus they will therefore not work.

To run these linecards you would need a supervisor that does provide connections to the switch fabric and that could be either a sup720 or a sup2T.

So no, you shouldn't buy it with your current supervisor as it will not work.

Jon

thanks alot bro

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card