Helpful
Replies

Need help on Switch

ghazanfer_1979
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

i hope every one is doping fine .

i am already having a running network using complete subnet of 192.168.0.x ,we are using ISA , Exchange & DC running with few other Application servers. i wanna move all old freaky switches to Cisco.I want to start with Basic connectivity among the cleints & server. what i meant that i dont wanna create any vlans. i will plan the Vlans later on.

i wanna install one Layer 3 core switch with Fibre Optics Support & other 4 Access Switches with Fibre optics support.

1. which model of cisco switches should i use as core switches coz later on we are planning to connect the  Cisco Call Manager & Cisco Phones, so for that i need POE support on all the Core & Access Switches.

2. what will be the best way to Interconnect all the switches together.

3. what will be the configuration on core switch & access switches.

i really appreciate any kind of help.

i will highly appreciate your kind help ....

Thanks & Regards

Ghazanfer Khan  

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ghazanfar,

i wanna install one Layer 3 core switch with Fibre Optics Support & other 4 Access Switches with Fibre optics support.

How many fiber and copper ports and what speed?

1. which model of cisco

switches should i use as core switches coz later on we are planning to  connect the  Cisco Call Manager & Cisco Phones, so for that i need  POE support on all the Core & Access Switches.

You don't need your core switch to be POE capable.  If you need need POE, that will be at the access layer where you connect your phones to the switches.

Also, how many users and servers do you have?

2. what will be the best way to Interconnect all the switches together.

It depends on the distance between your equipment.  Usually, you use the fiber ports for uplinks.

HTH

Dear Reza Sb,

Thank you so much for showing the interest .following is the asked details.

1.     i am having 150 + users in my local LAN & may be it will expand more later on thats why i am planning for 4 x 48 port         Cisco Access  Switch.

2.     i need 1 core layer 3 switch to have minimum 4 or 5  fiber optic port so that i can connect my 4 or 5 Cisco Access          Switch to Core Switch through Fiber.

3.     All the switches will be in the data centre. the maximum distance between All the cisco switches or even server will         be not more than 10 Metres.

4.     total number of servers are around 10 including Domain Controller , Exchange , ISA , Application servers.all the             servers are in Data Centre.

my need is to implement CISCO switches in LAN for stable Network .

your help will be higly appreciated bro. if u need any more clarification, feel free to contact me at ghazanfer_1979@yahoo.com

Waiting your reply.

My question is WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?

Dear Leolaohoo,

Budget is not a issue,,

Hmmmm ... No budget.  Don't know where to start.

I mean for a small network, you can't go wrong with a 3750X.  If you get the optional network module, it will give you four 1Gbps SFP or two 10Gbps SFP+ or one 10Gbps SFP+ and two 1Gbps SFP.

For access switch, you can start looking at the 2960S.  The "D" suffix will allow the switches to support two 10Gbps SFP+ or one 10Gbps SFP+ and one 1Gbps SFP.  The 2960S can be STACKED (up to four units) which makes managing and configuration easy.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card